Wednesday, May 2, 2012

3d Gamelab Review

This class was really fun and in my opinion, the 3D GAMELAB made it even more interesting. 

What I liked about it

At first, the little "badges" seemed corny.  I was thinking "Ok, so basically badges = grades and Quests = Homework so it's really a normal class with a bunch of creative names for the same thing you get in every other class".  However, what I discovered was that just by earning the badges, moving up in ranks, and having the other awards to achieve really gave me more of an incentive to do the work.  I found myself bragging to my friend Matt that I was a "Jedi Master" and when he became a "Jedi Councilor" before I did, I got my butt into gear.  So from a motivational standpoint, it's effective.  It's similar to some workshops on "Motivational Interviewing" that I've been a part of and the basic premise is little awards for little achievements yielding a bigger accomplishment long term.

What I disliked about it

From my standpoint as a student, I had to keep track of what awards or badges I should've been earning because from what I've learned, the system is automated as far as when assignments are completed, the badges come automatically.  You basically have to rely on the instructor or moderator of the game lab to remember what to award the user.  This seems like an easy fix though. 
Other things were that there was a duplicate badge. I think it was "Reasoned Thinker" and if I clicked on the wrong one, my window would lock up and I'd have to start over.  

Overall, the experience was great.  It helped to have a teacher with a sense of humor.  My first memory of Suzanne was some type of Youtube video with her Dressed as a Pirate and our syllabus was a treasure map.  First impressions are big and that was definitely an attention getter.
The reason why I bring this up is because I feel like it takes a teacher that thinks outside of the box to compliment the 3D GAMELAB experience.  Normal stuffy teachers wouldn't have the same effect. 

I enjoyed the semester.  Learned some cool things and hope you all have a great Summer!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment